ZZ383 Base Crate Engine
425 hp @ 5,400 rpm / 449 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm
The Classic Small-Block Stroker
Chevrolet never offered a 383 Small-Block in production vehicles, but Chevrolet Performance’s ZZ383 is a factoryengineered take on the unique, big-torque “stroker” configuration. And better than building your own with a reconditioned block and other components, ours is all-new from the oil pan to the valve covers – and everything in between!
Our brand-new block with four-bolt main caps is the foundation for the ZZ383 and it is matched with a tough, forged steel crankshaft and high-strength connecting rods. A hydraulic roller camshaft with more the 0.500-inch lift and high-flow aluminum Fast Burn heads with 2.00/1.55-inch valves enable tremendous airflow. The engine is equipped with pre-2013 Fast Burn cylinder heads and valve springs, but they can be updated to 2013-later beehive-spring specifications with spring conversion kit P/N 19300952.
The Base engine package includes a cast iron water pump and balancer. The induction system, ignition system and other accessories must be purchased separately. Use high-rise intake P/N 12496822 and Holley 770-cfm four barrel carburetor P/N 19170093 to achieve the listed horsepower and torque ratings.
NOTE: Limited availability due to component changes.
ZZ383 Base Tech Specs:
Part Number: 19154775
Engine Type: Chevy Small-Block V-8
Displacement (cu in): 383
Bore x Stroke (in): 4.000 x 3.800
Block (P/N 88962516): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 12489436): 4340 forged steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 12497624): Heavy-duty PM steel
Pistons (P/N 12499103): Hypereutectic aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 19210723): Hydraulic roller
Camshaft Lift (in): .509 intake / .528 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 222° intake / 230° exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 12464298): Fast Burn aluminum; 62cc chambers
Valve Size (in): 2.000 intake / 1.550 exhaust
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 12367345): Aluminum roller style
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.5:1
Recommended Fuel: 92 octane
Ignition Timing: Base 10° BTDC, 32° Total
Maximum Recommended rpm: 6,000
Recommended Transmission: Hydra-Matic 4L65-E Four-Speed Automatic P/N 19260380
• Requires addition of carburetor, ignition, intake manifold, fuel pump, and starter (not included)
• 425 horsepower rating achieved during GM testing with high-rise single-plane intake manifold (P/N 12496822) and a 770-cfm carburetor with vacuum secondaries
• Chevrolet Performance dual-plane intake manifold (P/N 12366573) may be used to avoid hood clearance problems, but peak power may decrease by approximately 15-20 horsepower
• Comes with 1986-1999 350-style externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications
Note: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.